Friday, September 25, 2009

Just One Year Ago...

I was breathing fresh air at every moment of every day.

I was drinking wine made with grapes harvested from vineyards within view.

I was dining al fresco with fish and produce purchased from our daily visit to a local market.

I was basking in the sunshine in the south of France.

I was in heaven.

Is it possible that the trip I had been planning for too many years to count has come and gone? The goal was to travel to Provence and celebrate a milestone birthday by renting a residence for a week before touring to Paris (again) before returning home. I scoured websites to find that perfect residence that blended the needs and met the expectations of me and my friends. I found the perfect property, Le Four à Chaux
. We booked our week for the last week in September 2006. Perfect.



Le Four à Chaux, Front Exterior
Sablet, France – 2008




Le Four à Chaux, Rear Terrace off Bedrooms
Sablet, France – 2008


Well no, not so perfect. As my friends and family recall so vividly, I experienced a freak accident (another story for another day!) just 17 days prior to our departure that resulted in a severe compound fracture to my left ankle. Needles to say – we did not make the trip. Luckily for us, the owners of the property were extremely understanding and allowed us to postpone our trip with no penalties.

So, in September of last year, we journeyed to the village of Sablet, a tiny village tucked between Nyons and Orange, just a short drive from Vaison La Romaine. It was just wonderful. We woke to locals picking grapes in the backyard – first time for everything! We spent most days trolling about the region, learning about the culture and people that populate this corner of the Vaucluse region of provence. I can not say enough about the house, our experience, the people, the food, the scenery – it truly was an unforgettable trip. I can’t wait to return. I will return.




Grape Harvest in Vineyard at Le Four à Chaux
Sablet, France – 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment