Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Purging is Good for the Soul

Wanting to relocate back to Center City for the past 12+ months, I have been in a sporadic mindset of preparing for the “move”. Boxes have started to litter my closets in anticipation of the impending change, a temporary inconvenience I can live with; keeping my eye on the ultimate goal. With this infrequent task fitting between business travel and desire, I have spent snippets of time cleaning out drawers, closets, cabinets – filling many trash bags ultimately retiring at the curb or Goodwill.

Purging is good for the soul. It allows one, at least for me, the chance to breathe a sigh of relief; a sense of accomplishment knowing that unused, worn, and unneeded stuff has been removed from my surroundings. Less is more. I’m finding as I get older I yearn for simplifying my life: purging the unwanted, removing unnecessary anxiety, acquiring only must-have possessions and ultimately, relocating to Center City. I find no need to harbor “things” that serve no purpose; keep it simple is my new mantra. Purge. Purge. Purge.

My ongoing purging process has also provided free entertainment; I have enjoyed many laughs, smiles and moments of reflection. Sifting through photos, cards, and random postcards and notes, I am able to relive captured moments of time; my memories. Luckily for me, my most treasured keepsakes are maintained and archived for future viewing pleasure, but my purging exercise has revealed I have more work to complete! Enjoy my purging prize (a scrapbook layout of my almost-adult goddaughter, Lauren) and no, it will not find its way to the curb!
This was a snapshot that I captured the morning of my goddaughter's first birthday. (For those who know Lauren, yes - she's 17 now; I don't scrapbook chronologically!!)
Journaling Reads: Your beautiful face brings me joy each and every day. May 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment