Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Project Number 1 – ORGANIZATION 101

With the holiday frenzy in full swing, my holiday readiness has just gotten off the ground! I’m a traditionalist when it comes to the holidays; enjoying each holiday in its respective calendar occurrence. It’s hard for me to think about mistletoe, holiday cookies and evergreen wreaths when jack-o-lanterns and corn stalks still clutter my neighborhood!

This year my family will be traveling for the holidays, with me leaving Philadelphia prior to the 25th. Traveling at the holiday forces me to enter the holiday season with a game plan, a list and a fierce determination to prevent procrastination! Each year I have grand ideas of things that I will craft, specific gift wrapping ensembles and holiday confections that I will assemble. Often, more times that I would care to admit, I fall short of my original game plan. Was my list to ambitious? Were my expectations beyond physical realization? Perhaps. But part of the fun, at least for me, is the planning. I suppose it’s something carried over from childhood, “with sugar plums dancing in their heads”!

So this year, my game plan is more realistic. My day job, the 9 to 5, can be time-consuming - far exceeding the standard forty hours depending upon project deadlines; so needless to say – that can hinder even the best planner’s game plan. This year’s plan includes one major crafting project per week in the month of December, leaving me sufficient time (hopefully!) to complete current project before moving on to the next, while still leaving ample time for daily chores, responsibilities and daily enjoyment of seasonal pleasures! While my goals may appear somewhat rudimentary, it’s what will work for me. Time management appears to be a popular topic, and as a dear friend noted on her blog, susanbethstudio, “Don't be too hard on myself but don't be a slacker either.” Well said Susan!


Let’s see if I can stick to my game plan!



The beginning of a long & prosperous baking craze! Christmas, 1971.

2 comments:

  1. Fun post Deb! Love the trip down memory lane, you were (and still are) adorable! That's one of the classics that never made it under our tree, oh well!

    Thanks for your reference - on all the blogs I follow, I can't tell you how many (all women of course) have a post about time management and how there's just not enough of it. Good luck with all your projects, I'm sure they'll be great. In regards to you traveling, is your Far East trip a go then? Also, yes the J-man was indeed my inspiration (and model) for Jack, very handy - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan for your comments. Why is time management such an issue?? My only travel plans will be to Florida, for now. No word on the Far East as of today; stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete