Friday, December 4, 2009

Ode to the Brussel Sprout

Growing up, I was only ever exposed to the frozen variety of brussel sprouts – the kind purchased in a little cardboard box, wrapped in printed wax paper. Cooked beyond recognition on the cooktop, and to my mother’s credit - she was and remains a fabulous cook - this was not one of those memorable family favorites; the mushy miniature cabbage round held no culinary attachment for moi. This is what I knew, so as an adult I chose not to eat brussel sprouts; they were not included in my cornucopia of vegetable options. (Frankly, after my description – who would?)

Then, through my re-education of food with Ali Shapiro
, I rediscovered the brussel sprout. What I learned is that when prepared correctly, this compact little green gem packs a punch of flavor, not to mention a healthy dose of Vitamin A and C. Brussel sprouts have become my autumn go-to vegetable, a welcomed addition after enjoying the last of the Indian summer’s harvest. Roasted in the oven at a high temperature till browned and caramelized, these yummy morsels are a delightful addition to my vegetable repertoire! The little leaves that break away from the sprout and turn crispy through the cooking process are the cook’s treat – a bonus for those who need a little pre-dining sample….

So the next time you pass fresh brussel sprouts at your local farmer’s market or grocery store – don’t judge the brussel sprout – give it a try; you may be surprised!




Step 1
Wash and halve each brussel sprout.


Step 2
Add olive oil, toss till coated; sprinkle sea salt to taste.


Step 3
Roast in oven at 400 degrees till soft and browned to taste.

And most importantly, Step 4
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this simple recipe Deb! I must confess, I was never a brussel sprout fan either, mostly because that was the one veggie my Mom didn't prepare. I've been intrigued many times in the grocery store by the way they look on the stalks - they are quite beautiful and I always thought of buying them to draw! After seeing how simple they can be to prepare, I think we'll try them this weekend - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to draw them first! I love their stalk - it's very cool to see them in their original "habitat" before finding them in a bin at the market!! Enjoy!! Let me know how you and the family like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made 'em tonight - as RR would say "delish!" All gone in a flash, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that the family liked 'em!

    ReplyDelete